Friday, July 24, 2009

Rosemary Garlic Seared Beef Tenderloin

Posted by Picasa
Crazy day, the lunch I thought I had in the fridge at work had died a horrible death and I missed the daily lunch run by my co-workers. Add to that a bunch of errands after work as I get ready to go on vacation and you get one hungry person! But..I refused to go to the grocery because I am leaving! So I took my chances and found enough small treasures to cook up a little feast of leftovers between the packing chores..oh and I have to clean the house really well so my life saving house/ dog sitter Ruthie won`t think I am a pig!
I had a wonderful heirloom tomato..a Croatian red..if you can find on get it..they are wonderful! There was one broccoli crown, a couple of baby Yukon Golds a tenderloin tail and a rosemary bush outside my door..eureka!! A dinner to sooth the weary soul.
ROSEMARY SEARED BEEF
use any quick cooking cut of tender beef you have on hand..thin is best...season meat with fresh ground black pepper and salt. Heat a little very good olive oil in a heavy iron skillet with a large garlic clove, sliced thin, the leaves from a big sprig of rosemary and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Let all "think" in the oil over low heat as you roast the potatoes and cook your vegetable of choice. Do not let the garlic brown.
When the potatoes are ready, pour most of the oil and all of the Rosemary and garlic into a heat proof dish. Heat skillet until almost smoking and quickly sear the meat to rare. Remove meat to warm plate...let skillet cool slightly, add reserved oil, garlic and rosemary..when really hot pour over steak and potatoes.
serve with sliced fresh tomatoes and green veggie of choice!
allow 2 potatoes per person and at least 4 oz of beef..I think thin slices of pork tenderloin would be wonderful too!
my favorite wine of the week
FOUR VINES 2006 OLD VINE CUVEE ZINFANDEL
PASO ROBLES CA. [average $14]
lots of fruit and just the right touch of oak..and because it is screw top it is perfect for Summer picnics!
"COOK HONEY, COOK!"

2 comments:

  1. Oh Anne, this sounds fabulous - do you think I could get away with subbing turnips for the potatoes so we can eat it? I really kind of want some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh absolutely..mashed turnips with a touch of good butter and some cream would be great! I love to cutr up small turnips and roast them with olive oil and garlic just like potatoes..add a little red onion towards the end too!! I like caraway seeds on this!

    ReplyDelete