Sunday, July 12, 2009

ONE DISH SUMMER SUPPER


I look for ways to serve a variety of foods at dinner parties with a minimum of effort after my guests arrive. I want to get almost everything done so I don`t miss out on the conversation and I want my guests to be able to compose their own plates at their leisure. I also try to be sensitive to their likes and dislikes. One of my guests does not like fruit on salads, one loves tangy, sour flavors and dislikes broccolli, one can`t tolerate the taste of curry, one will not eat meats of any kind that are not cooked to death and so on and so on.
My mother would be horrified to think I might cater to the individual tastes of my guests. We were taught to accept whatever was served without negative comment. To tell one`s host that the meat was not cooked to your liking or to ask that a dish be prepared in a different manner would have seemed the ultimate insult. I remember her reaction many years ago to a negative comment about a dish she served. My parents had invited one of daddy`s important business associates for dinner. They arrived and had unexpectedly brought their son with them. Mom had prepared one of our favorite dishes, Chicken Divan which consisted of poached chicken breasts over broccoli , covered with a wonderful rich Gruyere cheese sauce with white wine with a crunchy buttered bread crumb topping. We children were served in the breakfast room. Mom placed a plate in front of our young guest and he said "what`s this slop?" Mom promptly lost it and turned the plate of food upside down on his head, I am not sure if my dad and the Colonel did any more business, but I and my brothers learned never to make a negative comment about food , anywhere!
The photo is one of a composed Summer supper that I do quite often. Every dish with the exception of the grilled chicken was prepared way in advance. I grilled the chicken thighs just before the party. All that was left for me to do was put it all together which only takes a few minutes.
I bought a large kitchen turntable and placed it in the center of my dining room table. I place the platter on this and allow guests to graze ! It`s such fun as guests slowly turn the platter to help them selves to whatever they like.
SUGGESTED INGREDIENTS FOR ONE DISH SUMMER SUPPER
grilled boneless chicken thighs, marinated overnight in Greek yogurt with cumin, garlic and smoked paprika [short on time? sub grocery store rotisserie chicken with lots of lemon juice and capers]
blanched baby green beans
gemelli pasta with fresh basil pesto
grilled Vidalia onions with red, yellow and orange peppers
quartered home grown heirloom tomatoes...choose lots of sizes and colors
goat cheese logs rolled in cracked black pepper and chopped herbs
all served on chilled shredded romaine mixed with a handful of baby greens with chopped fresh basil and a little fresh mint
Pass hot french bread and cruets of simple vinaigrette dressing.
Dessert: I found this wonderful recipe in Every Day Food Magazine..it`s a keeper!
ORANGE GLAZED ALMOND SEMOLINA CAKE WITH FRESH FRUIT
serves 8
preheat oven 350 degrees
butter a 9 inch round cake pan..place round of parchment paper on bottom..butter parchment
12 Tblsp [1 1/2 sticks ] unsalted butter softened
1 cup sugar
1 large Tblsp finely grated orange zest
3/4 cup semolina flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup blanched almonds, finely ground
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup Greek Yogurt..full fat
using electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and creamy
add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition
add vanilla
in a large bowl whisk together
semolina, white flour, baking powder, salt and orange peel
with mixer on low add flour mixture and Greek Yogurt alternately , ending with yogurt.
scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 min. until golden brown and pick inserted in center comes out clean.
ORANGE SYRUP
in small sauce pan bring
1/2 cup water to a boil add
2/3 cup sugar
6 large strips of orange peel
stir to dissolve sugar..simmer 4 minutes
remove from heat and let sit while cake bakes
let cake cool 10 min in pan
turn cake out onto rimmed serving platter
poke holes in top with fork and spoon syrup over cake until all is absorbed
serve the cake cut in wedges accompanied by fresh sugared berries or peaches topped with more Greek Yogurt
Any leftover cake is wonderful with coffee for breakfast!
"Cook Honey, Cook!"

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world!!!
    It's great..sounds like you. is you. it's just great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne: I am so glad to see your blog - I was getting very tired of Betty Crocker! Also, timely because we are having dinner guests on Thursday and I will be able to prepare your dinner before Betsy Kreb's funeral and have time sit back and relax with our guests. Hope to see you soon. KALA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I could be an inspiration! Sorry for the loss of your friend! Put it all on a great big platter and serve either buffet style or in the cneter of the table. I went to Bed BAth and beyond and bought an $18 round turntable so the platter can turn easll. Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the one dish summer supper and grateful I was able to experience your culinary delight last weekend. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete