Saturday, August 8, 2009

4 C CAULIFLOWER

Well it`s time to pay the piper...too much fun = too much me! After a wonderful few months of fun with food I am back to my low carb diet. It`s the only thing that works for me . For some folks heaven is sugary and sweet. For me its creamy, crunchy, greasy, starchy, yeasty. In short I am a carb-a-holic. Given the choice between a big chocolate bar and a big hunk of bread with butter, bread wins every time. Ice cream or pasta..give me the pasta. Cookies or chips, I want the whole bag and then I will go for the chocolate, the ice cream and the cookies! And then there is the wine! Oh for big red wines and crispy cold White wines! All of these things are brimming with bad carbs so I am backing off for a while until there is a little less of me to go around!

I`m not going to stop cooking though. That`s the beauty of low carbing! It brings out the creativity in a good cook. I am a dedicated meat eater so there is a lot I can do. I have done this before with really great results and I did not feel to very deprived .

There is a wonderful book out there I use to help me along that I highly recommend to anyone who wants to try something a little different . It is my friend on this journey and if you need a friend to guide you and support you get yourself a copy of:

NERRIS AND INDIA`S IDIOT PROOF DIET a weight loss plan for real women. [they wanted to call it "how we went from pig to twig]
The book is published by Wellness Central and is available on Amazon.com. The book was written by two British women who have lives like the rest of us..jobs, husbands, boyfriends, children and a love of too much of everything! It is full of humor and good common sense and is really fun to read. The diet plan is the simplest I have ever read. It`s full of good recipes too. After a while it becomes really easy to come up with interesting low and no carb foods.

This is not as restrictive as Atkins. The girls took all of the best low carb plans and through trial and error came up with a plan that not only really works, it`s easy to stick with!

FOUR C CAULIFLOWER
curry, caraway cream and cheddar
pre heat oven to 350
this is a to taste recipe!
steam 1 head of cauliflower broken into florets for 12 min. in your microwave
drain the cauliflower, transfer to bowl
add 3 Tblsp heavy cream and 1 Tblsp butter
stir to blend
add a good pinch red pepper flakes, a good big teaspoon curry powder, more if you like and 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds. Add salt to taste. Transfer to a shallow baking dish and top with 1/2 cup of good sharp cheddar cheese.
Bake in 350 degree oven for about 25 min. or until hot and bubbly.
serves 4 as a side dish or 2 as main course.
I like this as a tasty almost no carb substitute for potatoes!
"COOK HONEY, COOK"

2 comments: