Wednesday, August 26, 2009

FRESH TOMATO SAUCE



It`s almost the end of August in Tennessee and the end of tomato season is almost here. Lots of people planted way more tomatoes than they can possibly use! If you are lucky like me..one of these people will give you a load of tomatoes!
My friend and boss did just that. He called me out to show me what he brought for me..heavenly days it was a half a washtub filled with all kinds of wonderful tomatoes..pear, grape, roma, better boy, bradley and heaven knows what else. There were way more tomatoes that I could eat before they went bad so I told him I would make up batch of tomato sauce. I know you have been told that tomato sauce should be made from romas and I have made gallons that way but let me tell you this sauce is wonderful!
This was a seat of the pants project..I had about 15 lbs. of various tomatoes and 2 big onions from his garden .
I dropped the tomatoes in boiling water for a couple of minutes, refreshed them in cold water and slid the skins off. I cored each tomato, cut it in half and squeezed out as much jelly and seeds as possible.
I chopped up the 2 onions and sauteed them in some good olive oil, then added 6 big garlic cloves and sauteed a little longer..be sure not to brown the vegetables. To this mixture I added a 2 tsp. of red pepper flakes, a big pinch of sea salt and 2 Tbls. dried oregano and 4 bay leaves. Let all of this think while you drain and smush up the tomatoes...add the tomatoes to the onion, garlic mix and combine well. I added a big handful of spicy globe basil , stems and all..don`t worry, you will be able to pull the stems out later. Frankly, I did not think the basil would give enough flavor but it really did! If you do not have fresh basil go ahead and add a big tablespoon of dried basil.
The more surface area you have the faster the sauce will cook down so I divided it into 2 large deep , flat bottom wok type pans.
Bring sauce to gentle boil, turn heat to simmer and watch carefully. Stir sauce often and cook until reduced and thick. It takes about 45 minutes. It will burn if you don`t watch it.
Chill sauce overnight..then puree it in a food processor. Taste and correct seasoning. I got 2.25 lbs. of wonderful sauce that I will freeze in small batches to use on pasta and in rich bean soups this winter!
MY PERFECT LOW CARB DINNER FOR ONE
pan seared boneless , skinless chicken breast with smoked paprika, salt and pepper, served over sauteed baby spoon spinach, topped with fresh tomato sauce, chopped fresh basil and Parmesan cheese..light, fresh, lovely!
COOK HONEY, COOK!

1 comment: